I've been house sitting for this older couple. They have the most adorable golden retriever. Her name is Maggie. She looks like a little golden angel. I woke up this morning to her sniffing my face and wagging her tail. I miss my dog, Susie, who was recently put to sleep because of her old age. So I feel it's very healthy for me to be around a younger, more energetic dog that in some ways reminds me of her.
Today is Thanksgiving and I am making cream cheese almond pumpkin bread (say that three times fast!). Andrew invited me to his house for Thanksgiving, so I felt it was appropriate to bring something. I think I may also make his wonderful mother, Carol, a thank-you card. She was kind enough to invite me, after hearing that my family is out of town for Thanksgiving. Carol is one of the most special mothers anyone could ask for. She has bright red hair, wears dark purple nail polish and dotes on the fashion designer Betsey Johnson. She is skilled in Hungarian cuisine and is a practicing Buddhist. Last time I went over to their house, she offered me a martini (obviously the key to my heart) and presented me with a gaudy bejeweled bracelet she bought in Savannah. Carol has been through it all. Her husband, Andrew's father, died in the early 90's. She remarried a man named Richard about ten years later (I think). Two years ago, he died from cancer. I cannot image how she can have gone through tragedies like that, and still make it out strong and compassionate for life. I can image that she has her moments of sadness and grief. But upon Richard's death, she redecorated her house with all sorts of exotic furniture and aesthetically-pleasing colors. She allowed herself to be a more open person. What a woman.
I am a little sad, because my family is in Cuba this week. I'm just gonna hop on my soapbox for a second and say that. I wish I could be there. Although I am so thankful to be with the Greenwood's, I would also like to spend some time with my family. But I am lucky that I have places that I can go on this holiday that is centralized around food and family. I have both, as well as amazing friends. I am thankful for that. And for my soon-to-be pumpkin bread creation. I have been a pumpkin kick recently. It is something that brings me incredible joy, because Fall is my favorite season. The smell of pumpkin is nostalgic. It reminds me of the days when my brother and I would pick pumpkins in this deserted pumpkin field out in Monticello, with a subtle smell of cloves in the horizon. And years later, I still don't forget that smell, as I mix in aromas of fall spices into my bread creation.
Today is Thanksgiving and I am making cream cheese almond pumpkin bread (say that three times fast!). Andrew invited me to his house for Thanksgiving, so I felt it was appropriate to bring something. I think I may also make his wonderful mother, Carol, a thank-you card. She was kind enough to invite me, after hearing that my family is out of town for Thanksgiving. Carol is one of the most special mothers anyone could ask for. She has bright red hair, wears dark purple nail polish and dotes on the fashion designer Betsey Johnson. She is skilled in Hungarian cuisine and is a practicing Buddhist. Last time I went over to their house, she offered me a martini (obviously the key to my heart) and presented me with a gaudy bejeweled bracelet she bought in Savannah. Carol has been through it all. Her husband, Andrew's father, died in the early 90's. She remarried a man named Richard about ten years later (I think). Two years ago, he died from cancer. I cannot image how she can have gone through tragedies like that, and still make it out strong and compassionate for life. I can image that she has her moments of sadness and grief. But upon Richard's death, she redecorated her house with all sorts of exotic furniture and aesthetically-pleasing colors. She allowed herself to be a more open person. What a woman.
I am a little sad, because my family is in Cuba this week. I'm just gonna hop on my soapbox for a second and say that. I wish I could be there. Although I am so thankful to be with the Greenwood's, I would also like to spend some time with my family. But I am lucky that I have places that I can go on this holiday that is centralized around food and family. I have both, as well as amazing friends. I am thankful for that. And for my soon-to-be pumpkin bread creation. I have been a pumpkin kick recently. It is something that brings me incredible joy, because Fall is my favorite season. The smell of pumpkin is nostalgic. It reminds me of the days when my brother and I would pick pumpkins in this deserted pumpkin field out in Monticello, with a subtle smell of cloves in the horizon. And years later, I still don't forget that smell, as I mix in aromas of fall spices into my bread creation.
No comments:
Post a Comment